Help reduce waste today!
We can all make a positive impact on our environment, even if our efforts are small. Below are some simple things that the EPA believes we can all do to help reduce waste.
- Shop for products made with recycled materials.
- Buy items with less packaging.
- Buy refillable, reusable containers.
- Avoid plastic bags. Bring reusable cloth or canvas bags to the grocery store.
- Buy only what you need or what you know you will use. (applies to food as well)
- Use energy-efficient light bulbs and rechargeable batteries.
- Reuse plastic bags if you have them.
- Ask to be removed from paper mailing lists, like credit offers.
- Don’t throw anything away that can be reused or repaired.
- For unwanted, used electronics, try upgrading the device to continue using it. Otherwise, donate or recycle it.
- Print on both sides of paper and use recycled paper.
- Compost your food scraps, yard waste, and paper.
Visit EPA.gov/recycle for more information and ways we can make a difference.
We have made a lot of progress reducing waste in communities across the country. Let’s keep moving forward!