The Green Team holds ongoing pollinator protection meetings with our community members and stakeholders. We encourage everyone to attend, especially our local beekeepers and community garden members. At our meetings, you will learn about the hardships facing bees, butterflies, and other pollinating species. You will also learn how you can make a difference for these vital insects and animals.
- Do you enjoy watching the honeybees and butterflies float about your garden?
- Would you like to learn more about the hundreds of native bee species here in Texas?
- Want to learn how your everyday decisions may be impacting our busy pollinators?
Then you should join the discussion, come ask questions, and find out what you can do to help keep pollinators from harm.
Some of the topics we have discussed at past meetings include:
- Monarch butterfly conservation – Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings recently signed the Mayors’ Monarch Pledge at the Leadership Circle level, which means that the City is committed to planting milkweed and promoting Monarch conservation.
- Honeybees and Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) – We depend on honeybees for food production, but they are facing serious decline the the US and in Europe. We discuss the many factors contributing to CCD, and how we can help avoid it in our communities.
- Native plants and gardens – These are vital to the health of our native pollinators; the Monarch butterfly depends on native milkweed on its migration through Dallas every year. Native plants provide food and shelter to a wide range of pollinating organisms, and we must promote these garden in our communities.
- Pesticides and Herbicides (including mosquito spraying) – There are many types of pesticides that can have a detrimental impact on our pollinators, and these are not typically the targets of our spraying. They are casualties in a war against pests like mosquitoes. Community gardens and citizens alike can opt out of mosquito spraying in the City of Dallas by calling 3-1-1 or filling out a 3-1-1 service request and selecting “Mosquito – Do Not Spray”.
Join us at our future pollinator protection meetings
Make sure to follow us on social media and signup for our emails.
For more information, contact GreenDallas@dallascityhall.com