The Texas Office of the US Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resource Conservation Service (USDA-NRCS) has announced grant funding for pollinator gardens and community gardens in certain Texas counties, including Dallas County. The Texas Natural Resources Conservation Service works hand-in-hand with Texans for the purpose of bringing about the conservation and sustainable use of land, water, wildlife, and related resources.
Planting a garden, whether a community garden, a pollinator garden, or a season high tunnel, can help bring together communities and individuals for the common purposes of building community cohesion, supporting local economies, and addressing food desert pressures. As part of this program, the Texas NRCA will provide technical and financial assistance to eligible entities. Entities are invited to apply for the NRCS assistance with the following conservation objectives:
- Provide learning experiences in natural resource conservation to urban communities
- Address food deserts
- Create urban gardening projects that develop urban properties into vegetable production sites
- Improve access to healthy, affordable food at the local level
- Leverage non-federal resources to achieve positive natural resource conservation outcomes
The program is offering funding for the creation and maintenance of:
- Community gardens, up to $4,000
- Monarch butterfly pollinator gardens, up to $3,000
- Seasonal high tunnels (large hoop-houses), up to $6,500
Eligible applicants include:
- Federally recognized Native American tribal governments
- Public and state controlled institutions of higher learning
- Independent school districts
- Private institutions of higher education
- 501(c)(3) nonprofits other than institutions of higher education
The NRCS anticipates the total amount of funding available under this announcement will be approximately $150,000 in fiscal year 2018; all awards are subject to the availability of funds appropriated by Congress.
Interested applicants should visit: https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/search-grants.html?keywords=USDA-NRCS-TX-UCP-18-01 for full details and application instructions.
This opportunity is separate from the City of Dallas Community Garden Grant Fund; for information on what the City of Dallas is doing to help address food desert pressures and the City’s Community Garden Grant Fund, please visit: http://greendallas.net/food/