Drinking Water Week is May 6 – 12, 2018
To celebrate Drinking Water Week and highlight the importance of water conservation, the Omni Hotel in downtown Dallas will be lit up with the Save Dallas Water logo from sunset until 2:00 AM on Friday, May 11th.
Communities across North America celebrate Drinking Water Week by recognizing the vital role drinking water plays in daily lives. Focus is placed on ways in which water consumers can take personal responsibility in caring for their tap water and protecting it at its source.
As many North American regions continue to face drought conditions, it’s essential to avoid waste through conservation practices to protect precious source water. Water consumers can practice conservation by using water wisely at home through the following steps, which are available on SaveDallasWater.com and DrinkTap.org:
• Repair leaky faucets, indoors and out.
• Fill your sink or basin when washing and rinsing dishes.
• Only run the dishwasher and washing machine when they are full.
• Take short showers instead of baths.
• Turn off the water to brush teeth, shave and soap up in the shower. Fill the sink to shave.
• Repair leaky toilets. Add a leak tablet or 12 drops of food coloring into the tank, and if color appears in the bowl one hour later, the toilet is leaking.
• Install a toilet dam, faucet aerators and low-flow showerheads.
• Apply mulch around shrubs and flower beds to reduce evaporation, promote plant growth and control weeds.
• Collect rainfall for irrigation in a screened container (to prevent mosquito larvae growth).
• Always use a broom to clean walkways, driveways, decks and porches, rather than hosing off these areas
More information about drought and water conservation is available on SaveDallasWater.com.