COVID-19 has put a damper on springtime celebrations. However, that doesn’t mean we still can’t do something good even while we shelter in place. We are encouraged to spend time outside, take walks and enjoy our outdoor spaces while we physically distance. When you’re outside, why not pick up some litter? We all know litter is unsightly, dangerous to wildlife and can encourage pests. Litter is costly to clean up, impacts our quality of life and economic development, and eventually can end up in our waterways and oceans.
The next time you go on a walk, make litter your business, and gear up to collect paper, cans, bottles, wrappers, and all the other litter along the way. Remember to wear gloves, a mask and bring a trash bag. Use a grabber if you have one handy. The COVID-19 virus can live on surfaces from a few hours to a few days so please protect yourself.
This is a great activity to do before your scheduled trash pickup day. You can add your bags of litter to your bin and get rid of everything quickly and properly.
Tips for a COVID-19 Cleanup:
- While collecting litter, remember to remain at least 6 feet away from others – Social Distancing
- Wear gloves and do not touch your face with your gloved hands
- Bring an extra pair of gloves with you
- Remove your gloves safely like in this video
- Wear a mask and remove it safely like in this video
- Toss disposable gloves and masks in the trash so they don’t become litter
- If you use grabbers, wash and sanitize them before you store them in your home
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water after you remove your gloves, after putting away equipment or putting bags of litter in your trash bin
- Photograph your bags of litter and share them on social media tagging Green Dallas
- @GreenDallas on Twitter
- @GreenDallasTX on Facebook
- Green Dallas on Instagram
Enjoy your time outside. Listen to the birds, enjoy the flowers, and feel good that you are making everyday Earth Day.