The goal is to reduce your carbon footprint – the amount of greenhouse gases that are emitted from all of your activities – from driving your car to heating your home to shopping. You can calculate your carbon footprint here.
Ways to reduce your carbon footprint:
- Reduce your energy consumption at home, at the office, and on the road
- Use energy efficient products, like ENERGY STAR appliances
- Reduce your water consumption – pumping water uses A LOT of energy
- Reduce the amount of stuff that you buy
- Click here to learn how the stuff that you buy every day impacts climate change and the environment
- Buy locally produced food and goods – they don’t have to travel as far to get to you
- Walk, bike, or use alternative transit and commutes
- Plant Trees – trees remove carbon and pollutants from the air, help the soil hold more water, and reduce the urban heat island effect
- Recycle – it takes a lot less energy and resources to recycle than to make a product from scratch
By taking the time to think about your everyday actions and purchases, you can easily identify ways to reduce your impact on the planet. It’s all about choices, and you can choose to make the planet a little greener today.