There are many ways that you can save energy every day, from very small changes in your daily routine, to very large changes in where you get your energy. The goal is to conserve energy and increase your energy efficiency.
- Turn off your television when you are not watching it.
- Unplug electronics when you are not using them, or get a power strip with an automatic shutoff. These devices can use electricity even while turned off or in standby mode. Learn about these “energy vampires” here.
- Turn out the lights when you leave a room.
- Set the thermostat back when you leave for the day.
- Conserve water – pumping water through pipes requires a lot of energy.
Increase your energy efficiency!
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Get a home energy audit – many energy providers offer free and low cost energy audits.
- Weatherize your home.
- Use ENERGY STAR products and appliances.
- Replace traditional light bulbs with LED or compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Clean clothes in cold water – it takes a lot of energy to heat water, and cold water works just fine on most loads of laundry.
Use renewable energy!
- Install solar panels on your home – the tax credit for solar panels expires at the end of 2016.
- Use an electric company that purchases renewable energy credits.
Learn all about saving energy at home and the actions you can take here!
Change your transportation habits!
- Walk, bike, or use alternative transit options and alternative commutes.
- Drive an electric or hybrid vehicle.